I got a little greedy and went for the gold…. changed out both pulleys to 48 tooth. Ended up with a computed top speed of close to 40 mph. Had a few technical issues though and ended up with gearing for a 32 mph top speed. This motor makes serious power and had me grinning big time.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Friday, December 13, 2013
I'm waiting on the 48 tooth pulley but went ahead and ran it a bit with 20 to 72 primary... 18 to 72 intermediate... and 14 to 52 final. I got 15 mph just running it with no load on the work bench. It would appear that the 245 KV rating is pretty close to real world. Projected speed should have been 14 mph... I reckon the extra speed is a result of battery voltage being more like 48 as opposed to 44. I should be able to get this bolted together sufficiently for a road test Sunday... its supposed to be sunny. Swapping out the 72 tooth intermediate for the 48 should give me a top speed of 22.... and hopefully decent hill climbing. As it is.... should have plenty of grunt with the current gearing for Sunday.
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Finally got my new wheel... I didn't originally plan to use the BB shell in the drive system but looking like I have no choice. Probably going to require some frame surgery to allow for the motor and primary reduction components.
Monday, December 2, 2013
I've been making some of the parts I'll need but still waiting of my new rear wheel with the disc brake hub. The design is still somewhat up in the air and somewhat complicated by the fact that the trike has a rear suspension. This trike was mostly a low buck hack so I would have two trikes in case I wanted to ride with someone else. This was my second home built trike... the first weighed a ton and the front wheels were originally moped wheels with internal brakes. They were on an ultralight that I had long ago.
The motor is a 2750 watt 1.60 gas equivalent... I found a couple of the white shaft housings at work... they had 16 mm shaft with bronze bearing. The black shaft housing has a 1/2 inch shaft also has bronze bearings.
I have not bored the metric adapter yet. It was mostly to see if I could cut a thread that would fit the 30mm x 1mm freewheel.
Trying to fit an an 1.375 freewheel adapter into the bottom bracket shell. Not sure what thread it is but it is a tight fit that I didn't want to force.
Made this adapter to fit a 52 tooth chain ring to the disc brake mount. This ring was less than 10 bucks and was intended for the old 1 piece style crank arm that is still used on some bikes. this is a junker rim that had a disc brake hub on it. I'm using it to line up drive train until I get my new wheel.... which should be in the next day or two.